The cross-shaped villa offers views in four different directions. The house is situated on a horseshoe-shaped island in Vaskivesi lake.
The building’s shape is both open and closed at the same time. The flat roof comprises a warmly ironic reference to modern architecture. The exterior has been treated in black as a contrast to the white wooden interior surfaces. The dark colour hides the villa when viewed from the lake.
The wood-heated villa is strongly insulated. There is no running water and electricity is produced using solar panels. The aim was to build a carbon neutral holiday home.
Vegetables, root crops and herbs are grown on the plot. The adjacent Vaskivesi is a popular fishing lake. The villa offers a possibility for simple living with no impact on the island’s ecosystem.
Proyecto en breve
- Ubicación | Vaskivesi, Virrat
- Utilidad | Summer house
- Constructor/Cliente | The Architect
- Investointikustannukset | 150000€
- Diseño arquitectónico | Avanto Architects Ltd
- Diseño estructural | Konstru Oy
- Fotografías | Avanto Architects Ltd
- Texto | Ville Hara