Correctly designed and built wood structures are very durable. In the world, there are examples of wooden buildings that have survived for almost 1,000 years in their original form. Finland’s oldest wooden building is the Tarsia Granary at Kihniö, which was built in 1441.
Ways to improve the longevity of wood are:
- selecting an application suitable for wood
- selecting the right type and quality of wood for the application
- keeping the structure dry
- providing adequate structural protection from water, moisture and direct sunlight
- impregnating the wood against decay, termites, etc.
- surface treatment such as painting, lacquering and waxing
- taking good care of it and changing parts that may wear.